Dear Teaching, It's Not You, It's Me. Well, Maybe It's A Little Bit You.

Originally written and posted 6/11/16

Nine years ago, I graduated from college and set out to fulfill my destiny. I was now a fully licensed teacher. I was confident, idealistic, and ready to change the world. What more did I need? Lesson planning? Check. Differentiation strategies? Done. A firm yet fair approach to classroom management? You got it. All that’s left to do was watch Dangerous Minds and Freedom Writers one more time, choose an impressive first day of school outfit and let the changing of lives commence.
     I knew I wanted to be a teacher sophomore year of high school after I began my love affair with To Kill a Mockingbird. My honors teacher taught in such a way that I found myself excited and inspired to go to class. I found meaning and purpose in literature, and I wanted to give that back to students. I wanted them to connect with each other and with me and to have those life-changing moments because of Atticus Finch or Maya Angelou. In each class we would be a family, and we would discuss and connect and share and be forever changed through the power of reading and writing.
     Fast forward nine years later, and I’ve taught freshmen. I’ve taught sophomores. I’ve taught seniors. I’ve taught intervention classes and I’ve taught honors classes. I’ve had a few of those classes that will forever hold a special place in my heart where we truly did become a family. I’ve had students who claim to hate school and everything about it and then shyly show me their poetry notebooks with quiet pride. I have letters from students about how I’ve made a difference in their lives, and I have seen Atticus Finch work his magic and elicit the same reaction I had to him all those years ago.
     I’ve also had many, many days where I come home crying. I’ve been sworn at and have had to make too many calls to CPS. I’ve missed outings with friends and moments with my daughter because I had too many papers to grade and I had to create three new units from scratch because I was teaching new classes for the third year in a row. I’ve stayed awake at night replaying the day over and over in my head wondering what I could do differently to get that student to care. I have had my spirit crushed and I’ve been an emotional punching bag for students who can’t process everything they have going on in their own lives. I’ve battled phones and backtalk and apathy and helicopter parents and parents who don’t care enough. I have spent hundreds of dollars of my own money each school year for supplies and books that aren’t offered in our library. My struggle isn’t new. It’s faced by many, many teachers who are out there just trying to make a difference. As hard as it is for me to admit this, I know my limits, and I reached them a while ago.
     There are probably also those who might say, “What did you expect? You work with teenagers!” You’re right - I went in supremely naive and idealistic, and I would argue that’s not such a bad thing. Who doesn’t want to help change the world and prepare for the best!?! I have felt like the ultimate failure for giving up on teaching. I have tortured myself over this decision, but ultimately, everyone has to find their place in the world and this just isn’t mine.
     What breaks my heart is that this is what I saw for myself from the time I was fifteen. If you ask me what I stand for and what causes resonate with me the most, education will always be top of the list. I believe a good education is one of the fundamental rights every person deserves and one of the keys to solving the world’s problems. I also believe that our education system is deeply, deeply flawed and the greatest minds haven’t figured out how to fix it. We are in a system that is underfunded and undervalued. We are in a system that puts so much emphasis on test scores and grades and on-time graduation rates that there is not enough focus on really, really learning or making education meaningful to many of our students. Unfortunately, too many of our students see education as a series of meaningless and monotonous hoops they must jump through before they can move on in life.
     The other day, I told my students, my honors class no less, that we were going to read a piece of writing simply because it was beautiful and powerful. Immediately a hand shot up asking what the assignment was going to be and how many points it was worth. I reiterated that we were reading this just to open our minds and hear a new point of view and there would be no assignment. The student replied, “So we don’t really have to do it?” Try as I might, the joy of learning and curiosity has been beaten out of them and it becomes all about the almighty grade.
     There are days when I feel I can combat student apathy and win them over with enthusiasm, but there are too many days where I feel like I’m being set up to fail. An average class has around 30 kids in the room. There are kids on IEPs and kids who don’t speak English as a first language. There are students who are homeless and the fact that they have shown up to school at all is a miracle in itself. There are students who are cripplingly shy and students who are reading well below their grade level and students with severe ADHD who are bouncing all over the place. There are some students who just don’t feel like shutting up. Ever. And then there’s the kid who asked to go to the bathroom and hasn’t come back for 15 minutes. And it’s my job to help them all become better readers and writers in 52 minutes a day. It’s my job to provide a nurturing environment, differentiate the lesson so that it reaches and engages all kids, and provide enough instruction and individual feedback to help them excel, all the while managing the classroom and ensuring that everyone is on task and not disrupting others. On top of that, can I also please foster their creativity and critical thinking skills while preparing them for one of the 8 million standardized tests they have to take during high school?
     To anyone outside of education who thinks this sounds easy or like teachers are raging about nothing, I invite you to try it for a year. Scratch that - try it for a month and then let’s sit down and talk about it over a beer. Make that a big beer, because you’re going to need it. And for any educator who thinks this is a piece of cake, I worship you. And loathe you a little bit.
     The kids really are the best part of my job. They can also be the most trying. There are very few students I’ve had where I couldn’t find something to love. However, when you lump 30 of them together in one room, it can be a different ball game. The need to show off in front of peers takes over. The swagger, the pea-cocking, and their inner comedians come out swinging. Someone gives someone else a dirty look from across the room and all hell breaks loose. The occupational hazard of working with teenagers is they often take their personal problems out on you. And you know what? I can’t always blame them. I’d have a hard time functioning if my boyfriend just dumped me and someone was insisting that I solve algebraic equations. If I’m in the middle of a great conversation with a friend, I might not be receptive to stopping mid-sentence so I could hash out the meaning of Edgar Allen Poe. And sometimes these kids have more shit going on in their personal lives than anyone at any age ever should and sometimes they have hormones and teen angst that they just don’t know how to process. And sometimes, kids are just asshats. Whatever the reason, the eye rolls and the comments under the breath and the comments they don’t always bother to hide under their breath take their toll.
     In spite of all the challenges and the obstacles and the broken system, I truly believe that teachers have one of the most important jobs there is. I just can’t do it anymore. As much as I have wrestled with this decision, it’s not just about me now. When the school bell rings at the end of the day, I’m torn between wanting to take a nap, scream into a pillow, or stress eat my way through an entire bag of Doritos. Instead, I answer parent e-mails and submit attendance I forgot to take during 5th period and decide which batch of papers I’m going to take with me to grade. Then I go home to my second job of being a mom, but I’m kind of sucking at my second job.
     By the time I get home to my daughter, I have nothing left. I’m bringing home all my frustrations and everything I’ve internalized all day. My toddler decides she knows how to put her shoes on by herself, and I find myself snapping and rushing her along because I’ve exhausted all my patience. I park her in front of an episode of Curious George so I can grade a handful of essays, and I am counting down the hours until bedtime so I can get a couple of minutes to just be. And that’s not how I want to show up for my daughter. That’s not the mom I want to be, and that’s not the person I want to be.
      I know I can’t blame it all on teaching. There are many teachers who balance lives with their families and handle it just fine, but it turns out I’m not one of them. I have come to realize that leaving doesn’t mean I can’t hack it or that I don’t care about kids, but it means that teaching has come at a cost and the cost is just more than I can afford to give. So here I am, doing my best to make sense of this decision, and remind myself why I have decided to leave. Because I know myself, and come June I will see the world through graduation-colored goggles, and I will hug students and rewrite the history of the year in my mind, and tell myself it was all worth it. And it will feel worth it. But come October, after the novelty of the new school year has worn off, I will cry in too many stairwells and lose faith in myself and the system all over again.
     To all the teachers out there fighting the good fight, you are important and you are admirable. What you do on a daily basis is nothing less than amazing. But for me it’s time to move on and find a new way to make a difference. What is that, exactly? Good question; I’ll have to get back to you on that one. I’ve got a lot of soul searching to do. Whatever it is, it’s one that will be helping people and hopefully giving me a little more work/life balance. The keyword there is hopefully, but I remain optimistic and probably the tiniest bit naive.